This fortified castle, in the same family since it was
built in 1341, was extended in the 16th and 19th centuries and is today a very attractive,
elegantly furnished and decorated Historic Monument.
The Urtubie stones bear witness to six centuries of Basque country history. Louis XI
stayed here in 1463 and Louis XIV raised the estate to viscount status in 1654. In the
19th century, Soult followed by Wellington were billeted here during the Napoleonic Wars.